Saturday, January 8, 2011

Lentil Tacos


Four years ago, I could not have picked a lentil out of a lineup, muchless provide any guidance on cooking one. Not that I would now consider myself any type of legume expert, but let's just say that more often than not there is a lentil leftover of some sort in our over-crowded, stainless-steel (translation: fingerprinted) refrigerator.

What are they? Technically, lentils are a legume - rather than a bean, they actually grow similiar to a pea. Most grocery stores stock standard brown lentils and red lentils; however I was lucky(?) enough to drop a pretty penny on some beautiful french green lentils while visiting Whole Foods in a substantially-sized city earlier this week. I like to buy them in bulk because they are generally cheaper and there is less packaging waste, however one pound bags are also often found in the supermarket aisle near the beans.

So, why lentils? They are a quick fix for many of the nutrients my nearly-vegetarian diet is missing. Lentils are high in protein, iron, B vitamins and folate. All important, many tough to acquire from a heavy vegetable diet like ours. But more importantly to me personally, they are very high in cholesterol-lowering dietary fiber and prevent blood sugar peaks after a meal. As someone with uncharacteristically high cholesterol and some other fun genetic maladies for another day, I need to be diligent about such things. Crafting health benefits into things that also taste wonderful is an added bonus.  

The other nice thing about this recipe is that it's a conversation starter and a crowd pleaser. The Husband loves it. The Little One uses her little fingers to pick them up one by one. A few of our more carnivorous friends claim that they do not even miss the meat; however in the nature of full disclosure, they could have just been being kind! If you're interested in additional favorite lentil recipes or unsolicited nutritional advice, be in touch! And without further ado..

Ingredients:
1 cup onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup dried brown lentils, rinsed
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons dried cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup fresh salsa

For assembly:
(our creations usually depend on what is in the pantry, but a few ideas) 
-Tortilla shells
-Fresh guacamole
-Taco sauce
-Lettuce
-Shredded cheese

Preparation:
In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender.
Add lentils, chili powder, cumin, and oregano; cook for an additional minute.
Add broth; Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until lentils are tender.
Uncover, cook for 6-8 additional minutes or until slightly thickened.
Fold in your salsa. 
Assemble tacos and enjoy!


Source: Unknown. Passed along by a wonderful friend.

Lentils on FoodistaLentils

6 comments:

See Mama Run! said...

This is an AWESOME recipe! I LOVEEEE Lentil Tacos! Seriously, I want to sit down and chat food with you. I need inspiration. Food and I need to be better friends. :)

Olson said...

Thanks again for sharing the recipe - it's been one of our favorite lentil recipes, the challenge becomes having tortillas in the house :) I love talking food, anytime!

Anonymous said...

This is amazing!Thank you soo much for sharing this!Now I wont feel so guilty for eating a lot of tacos.I came across your site from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this lentils widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about recipes for lentils,Thanks!

Southern Momma said...

I used this recipe with Salsa Verde to make Lentil Enchiladas last night. I LOVED them, but the fam did not. :( Boo! Hiss! My husband has a texture issue with lentils, so they are not his favorite, however, I adore them and would eat them at least 2-3 times a week if I could. Anyway, just thought I'd share a variation on J's awesome recipe. :)

Brandi said...

Funny story...

So, I'm a Mama who has been eating minimal meat..., but my hubby tends to be quite the carnivore (or, I suppose more accurately, OMNIVORE). Since the 'new year,' I've instilled "meatless-Mondays" in our home and have been trying to come up with creative, yet familiar food-ideas for Monday night dinners.

Today, I had decided to make lentil tacos, which was pretty straight forward -- but I decided to "Google" French Green Lentils, since this was the first time I'd ever purchased them. Thanks to Google, I stumbled across your incredibly adorable blog. I read a few posts and really loved your writing style... I decided to become a "Follower" and only then did I realize that I recognized your blogger "name" from our mutual friend's blog! It is SUCH a small world!

So nice to "meet" another friend of an awesome gal! :)

Olson said...

Brandi.. small world indeed!! What a great story, I'm happy to 'meet' you!