Saturday, January 8, 2011

Saturday Reflection


Highlight: I have been wishing for a full length wall mirror for our back entry hall for what seems like years. Er.. it actually has been years. In my defense, it is a tough space to fill -- the diagonal wall is nearly 5 feet wide, so many beautiful mirrors fell out of contention due to not being substantial enough to fill the space.  Initially, I did find a beautiful bronze mirror at Hobby Lobby that I had placed on my Christmas list for the past two or three years. Christmases came and went.. Aerogardens, Microwave Bacon Crispers, and American Flag Sweaters.. but no mirror. Santa was missing my heavy hinting.

One frustrated Tuesday morning last November, I found myself standing in the bathroom, teetering in my high heels on the edge of the bathtub, attempting to determine if these shoes did indeed match my outfit (not something you want to notice on the walk from the car to your office..). I declared aloud to whoever could hear me (hello, neighbors..) that "THIS IS THE LAST STRAW! Santa is bringing me that mirror!" I cleaned the stroller and carseat out of the back of my car and drove to Hobby Lobby to bring home said mirror, only to discover that the very product I had had my eye on for the past 24 months was now no longer carried in the store. Really?!

One month and 25 questionably-coordinated outfits later, I was out for a wonderful lunch with a friend at Carmella's Italian Bistro (yumstown, I wish they could cater my life..but I digress..). In a post-prandial haze, the Little One and I stumbled into the new Appleton location of Kirkland's. We meandered through the front of the store aimlessly, then spotted a beautiful domino of full length wall mirrors leaning against the back wall. And as they say when important things happen.. "the rest is history.."

So this Christmas, with the help of the Husband, Santa answered my pleas for bringing more natural light into our back hallway. Today the mirror officially moved to her new home, and we're all very happy. The Little One spent twenty minutes getting to know the new baby in the house; The Husband enjoys not having to 'waste electricity' and turn lights on to walk through the back hall, and I can see that my red flats absolutely do not match the red cardigan I was trying to pull off today. Knowledge is power.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I LOVE lentils! Can't wait to try this!

See Mama Run! said...

I want to come see your house. It looks gorgeous. And your writing style is hysterical. Blog on!